Spousal IRAs: Save for Retirement as a Stay-at-Home Parent

Author: Focus on the User | 4 min read
Spousal IRAs

The stay-at-home parent is often the unsung hero of the family, dedicating their time and energy to raising children and managing the household. However, not earning a taxable income can make it difficult for nonworking spouses to save for retirement. That's where Spousal IRAs come in, providing an essential opportunity for stay-at-home parents to build their nest egg.

The Basics of Spousal IRAs

Spousal IRAs are individual retirement accounts specifically designed for nonworking spouses, allowing them to save for retirement even without earning a taxable income. To be eligible for a Spousal IRA, couples must file a joint federal income tax return, with one partner earning taxable compensation. There are two main types of Spousal IRAs: the Traditional IRA and the Roth IRA. The primary difference between these two is the tax treatment of contributions and withdrawals, so it's important to understand which type best suits your financial goals.

Annual Contribution Limits and Catch-Up Contributions

Both the non-working spouse and the working spouse can open their own IRAs, with each account subject to annual contribution limits. For 2023, the maximum contribution for each spouse is $6,000, or $7,000 for those aged 50 and older, thanks to catch-up contribution provisions. These limits are subject to change over time, so it's crucial to stay informed about any updates.

Income Limits and Workplace Retirement Plans

If the working spouse participates in a workplace retirement plan, such as a 401(k), the couple's joint tax return may be subject to income limits that determine their eligibility to contribute to a Traditional IRA or Roth IRA. Generally, higher-income earners face tighter restrictions on their ability to make tax-deductible or Roth contributions. It's essential to consult IRS guidelines to determine if these income limits apply to your situation.

The Benefits of a Spousal IRA

Opening a Spousal IRA can provide numerous benefits to nonworking spouses, including the opportunity to save for retirement independently. This financial independence can be particularly beneficial in the event of a divorce, as each spouse will have their own retirement savings separate from joint assets. Additionally, a Spousal IRA can help couples save more for retirement by doubling their potential annual contributions, as both partners can contribute the maximum amount to their respective accounts.

Spousal IRAs can also help couples optimize their tax strategy. Depending on the type of IRA chosen, contributions may be tax-deductible, providing immediate tax savings. Alternatively, Roth IRAs allow for tax-free withdrawals in retirement, offering potential long-term benefits.

How to Open a Spousal IRA

To open a Spousal IRA, the nonworking spouse should visit a financial institution, such as a bank or brokerage firm, and complete an application. The account owner will need to provide personal information, as well as details about the working spouse's income and the couple's joint return. Once the application is approved, the account owner can start contributing funds, ensuring they stay within the annual contribution limits.

Find Out How to Invest Gold in Your IRA

The Key to Financial Security for Stay-at-Home Parents

Spousal IRAs are a powerful tool that can help stay-at-home parents save for retirement, providing financial independence and the opportunity to optimize their tax strategy. By understanding the various types of IRAs, income limits, and contribution guidelines, nonworking spouses can unlock the door to a more secure financial future.

IRA Investment Resources

Discover How to Effortlessly Rollover Gold Into Your IRA

Our free eBook covers everything you need to know before you start diverisfying your retirement with gold.

Was this resource helpful? Share it with your friends!

Disclaimer: Content on this website is not intended to be used as financial advice. It is not to be used as a recommendation to buy, sell, or trade an asset that requires a licensed broker. Consult a financial advisor.

Speak With An Expert, Learn More About Diversifying IRA With Gold